I’m sharing another recipe I made for Mr. C! If you missed my Orange Citrus Chicken post explaining how I don’t eat meat but cook for my fella, Mr. C every week, check it out! He got to enjoy 21 Day Fix Chile Lime Cod!
I have been making him a lot of salmon because I thought everyone loved salmon and it was super healthy. However just the other day I learned that he actually prefers cod. So today I made him a cod recipe for the week! This is a spicy chile & lime cod served over southwestern rice. The rice is very easy and VERY flavorful and used a technique I’ve never done before.
In doing a little research on cod VS salmon, I discovered that cod has fewer calories by about 1/3 (so a decent difference there) but also less fat which also means less of the good for you Omega 3’s. The protein is about the same in each.
When making the southwestern rice, you’ll saute’ the uncooked rice for 5 minutes with the oil, onions and seasonings. I have never done this before. Makes sense though! Get those flavors in that rice!
Since I didn’t eat it and cannot tell you what it tasted like, let’s ask Mr. C:
“The spice complimented the mildness of the cod very well. The lime juice a must for those that don’t enjoy a lot of spice. The rice is a great rendition of Spanish rice. “
Let’s welcome back the Mr.C rating scale! (it will be from 1-5 at all times)
This 21 Day Fix Chile + Lime Cod gets……………………….. 2.5 out of 5!
21 Day Fix Container Values:
Red: 1 (cod)
Yellow: 1 (brown rice)
Teaspoons: 3 (olive oil)
Personal Preference Disclaimer: I’d like to add that I do not cook 21 Day Fix recipes incredibly militantly. You may want to count the tomatoes (in 7 oz there is less than one cup, .87 cups exactly, and this recipe divides into 4 servings. So we are at under 1/4 purple per serving. Count that if you want! You could also count about 1/4 green for the onions as well, but I didn’t gain weight be eating too many onions. I also do not count broths but some consider them a yellow for some reason.
Serves 4 servings
30 minTotal Time
- 2lbs fresh cod
- 1tsp chili powder
- 1/2tsp dried oregano
- 1/2tsp salt
- 2tbsp butter
- 1/4tsp cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 8oz cancan tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 Roma tomatoes, dice
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the seasonings for the cod together.
- Place cod in an oven safe dish sprayed with coconut oil and sprinkle seasoning equally on top of each filet.
- Cook in oven for 8 minutes.
- In a pot heated with olive oil, add the diced onions and saute for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add seasonings and stir a few times for 1 minute.
- Add uncooked rice and stir with seasoned onions. Continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth and stir.
- Reduce heat to low and cover with lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, take lid off and set rice sit for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Divide rice into 4 servings and place fish filet on top
- Pour lime juice equally over each filet.