Fall means a lot of things to a lot of people. To most girls, fall means pumpkin spice flavored things. I am loving all of the funny pics going around on-line of girls in yoga pants and infinity scarves drinking pumpkin spice lattes. I do not like pumpkin. I kinda wish I did but I don’t. Ew. Besides not sweating my ass off in the heat, I love fall most for soups. I heart soups. Thick, creamy, hearty soups that are their own meal. Yum.
This soup I found online, and it spoke to my fall senses. It originally called for feta and cream, but I am a much bigger fan of goat cheese and I knew that once added, it would melt deliciously and could easily (and healthfully) replace the cream. I was right! It has a full serving of quinoa for each bowl which makes it incredibly filling and gives it a nice boost of protein.
This is also such a great recipe to prove that the Vitamix is the greatest blender of all time. It pulverized the soup into a thick, creamy and completely lump free liquid in about 3 seconds.
Personal Preference Disclaimer: I’d like to add that I do not cook 21 Day Fix recipes incredibly militantly. You may want to count tomatoes as a purple. I do not. You may want to never eat canned veggies. I do. I didn’t get where I am because of eating canned tomatoes, so I am cool with it. You may not want to use any flour or brown sugar but in these tiny amounts, I don’t think it matters much. Do this plan how you like while staying healthy.
21 Day Fix Container Values:
Red: 1 quinoa
Blue: 1 goat cheese
Green: 2 tomatoes, onions, carrots
Serves 4 servings
10 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1.5 cups dry quinoa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (I used light)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes (I used the kind with onion + garlic)
- 1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- salt + pepper
- sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups goat cheese
- Make the quinoa (1.5 cups dried quinoa, 2.25 cups water).
- Put olive oil to stockpot
- Add onions and carrot. Saute for 8 minutes until onions are transparent and carrots softened.
- Add the garlic and flour.
- Add all tomatoes. tomato paste, broth and brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, cook for 30 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool a little.
- Pour soup into food processor or soup safe blender and puree.
- Divide into 6 servings.
- Serve soup in a bowl with 3/4 cup quinoa and 1/4 cup goat cheese.
- You can add all of the quinoa and all of the goat cheese to the soup in one whole batch and stir it up this way. I just think the presentation is prettier when you have a cute little mound of quinoa in the middle and the sprinkling of cheese on top.