I don’t remember having meatloaf as a meat eater. It’s been more than half of my life since I have been a vegetarian and I always hated meat, so I imagine that I probably hated meatloaf too. Recently, as I have been trying to eat a more rounded diet and get more protein, meatloaf has been on my mind (stranger things have been on my mind). I’ve been searching for an easy and healthy vegetarian meatloaf recipe that tastes great, has a ton of protein and is fast to whip up, and I think I have found it!
This is the 2nd meatloaf I have made recently. The 1st was made with lentils and I didn’t love it. So when I found thie recipe using Boca Crumbles I tried it right away, and am glad I did. It’s a protein powerhouse! 45 grams of protein per loaf! That’s what I’m talking about! This meatloaf also has a whole zucchini in it. Now, believe me when I tell you that you will NOT taste it. I HATE zucchini and I couldn’t taste it. I wouldn’t lie to you about icky squashes. I promise.
The only downside is that it’s a little dry. Doesn’t meatloaf usually have a sauce? Not a whopping pile of ketchup, but a sauce? I thought so. So I whipped up a sauce made of balsamic, almost every kind of mustard I had in the house (we’re talking like 5 mustards) and a little sugar. It was a very thick sauce that was VERY balsamic-y. But it added that little moisture that I needed. You could make a sauce like that or just use ketchup like most normal people probably do.
- 2 12oz packages of Boca Crumbles (or another brand)
- 2/3 cup traditional oats
- 1/2 cup applesauce (not unsweetened)
- 1 zucchini, peeled & shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled & shredded
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced onion
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spray a mini loaf pan with cooking spray (4 mini loaves pan). Cook frozen Boca Crumbles in a saute pan until they are not frozen. Mix Crumbles with everything else. Scoop out the mixture evenly into the 4 mini loaf pans and pack it down using your fingers (clean fingers only!). Make for 45 minutes.